PUTRAJAYA: Several former Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) Youth exco members have submitted an application to the police, to hold a peaceful rally in front of the Registrar of Societies (RoS) headquarters here on Feb 22.
Angkatan Bersatu Anak Muda (Armada) former commitee member Muhammad Hafiz Azhar said the application to have the peaceful gathering, in a move to urge RoS to take action against PPBM for alleged violation of the party's constitution was submitted on Monday.
"We have said in an earlier press conference that we will hold a protest in front of RoS (office) should no action be taken against PPBM.
"In this respect, we have applied for the permit to hold the peaceful rally on Feb 22," he told reporters at the Putrajaya district police headquarters today.
He also believed that no action would likely be taken against PPBM due "certain elements" in the RoS, hinting that this could be due certain quarters.
Hafiz added that they will wait for the police feedback on the rally, stressing that the peaceful demonstration would still proceed even if they fail to secure a permit.
"We are expecting more than 500 people to take part in the rally next week," he said.
Former PPBM Youth committee member Mohamad Taufik Abas was reported as saying last week that 1,999 PPBM members would gather at RoS headquarters to protest if no action was taken against the party in two weeks.
The deputy prime minister has been quoted as saying that RoS had initiated investigations into PPBM for allegedly breaching of its own constitution.
Datuk Seri Dr AHmad Zahid Hamidi, who is also the Home Minister, said, RoS was looking through various documents to facilitate the ongoing probe into alleged discrepancies in PPBM.